Features for users
- No login. No user database.
- Threads can be sorted by date started, date of last reply, author, or subject. This makes it easy to find new messages.
- Tree-like thread structure shown graphically.
- Message preview. The user can check if the message looks as expected before posting the message.
- Automatic hyperlinks in messages.
- HTML formatting allowed in messages. User can copy and paste from an HTML editor.
- Quote function can use HTML formatting.
- Follow-up messages can be mailed to users (HTML formatted).
- FAQ page with detailed instructions.
- Binary file upload not possible.
- Works in all browsers and all screen sizes.
- Email works in all mail readers (mail contains alternate HTML and plain text).
- Good accessibility to handicapped users, including blind users.
- Gobble-up help and FAQ page.
- All pages are printer-friendly.
- Graphics is kept at a minimum to achieve fast loading.
- Each message board has its own directory and each message has a unique number.
- Automatic hyperlinks.
- User can use hotkeys instead of mouse, if supported by browser.
Features for moderators
- Support for multiple moderators with different rights.
- Optional pre-moderation: New messages are not visible until they have been approved by a moderator.
- New messages can be mailed to moderators. Mail contains HTML link directly to moderation interface.
- Automatic expiry of old threads. Expiry date can be changed. Threads can be marked for no expiry. Expired threads can be recovered within 30 days.
- Messages can be moved to a different thread or different message board.
- Important threads can be moved to a read-only archive.
- Special format for inserting comments into messages (e.g. "Inappropriate insult removed by moderator").
- FAQ page for moderators.
- Message status can be set to the following:
- approval not required
- approval required
- hidden, but don't delete
- lasting value (for later archiving)
- needs consideration
- written by moderator
- internal notice (message from one moderator to other moderators)
Features for administrator
- Administration interface is separate from moderation interface.
- Assign passwords and rights to moderators.
- Backup and restore message boards.
- Control display features and moderation features.
- Logging options: log postings, errors, search terms, search misses, and moderation activities.
- All layout is controlled using style sheets.
- Language can be changed, except for administrator interface.
- Pre-moderation can catch inappropriate messages before they become visible.
- Security question to ward off spam robots.
- Potentially dangerous HTML codes, scripts, event handlers, etc. are removed automatically.
- Binary file upload is not allowed.
- Image links can be banned.
- Users can be blacklisted based on name, Email, or IP address.
- Passwords are encrypted (except SQL password).
- Linux or FreeBSD operating system
- PHP version 4.1.0 or later
- MySQL database server (other database systems can be used, but not tested).
A test board is no longer available here because it has been abused for spam, but you can view a demo of the moderation interface.
Setting up the messageboard
Download the file aforum.zip and follow the instructions in the read-me.txt file.
Please note that I am providing this software as is and without any guarantee or support. A message board is provided for technical discussion of my software. You may post your questions here and hope that somebody will answer.